The chance receipt of a couple of photos dating from the 1930s of activity at the western end of Capel Road set regular contributor Peter Williams and his colleague and collaborator Mark Gorman in search of life on that strip of highway from the 1890s until the 1990s. Activity there during that period was very different from that in the primarily Victorian houses that populate the rest of Capel Road today.
The
article references several sources that people researching the histories of
their properties may find helpful.
The area
today
The area
covered by this article today is largely occupied by a row of houses built in
the late 1990s – see photos below.
![]() |
Modern houses at the western end of Capel Road (2016) |
The history
quest began with site photos of a petrol station (see later) located at 10 Capel
Road. Half a century earlier, that site had been the location of Manor Farm,
run by the Banes family, as suggested by these newspaper adverts from 1899 and
1907.
![]() |
Barking, East Ham and Ilford Advertiser 18 February 1899 |
![]() |
Westminster Gazette 28 October 1907 |
The site soon became occupied and managed by Thomas Henry Mullins, who gave the address (still known as Banes’ Manor Farm – see photo) for selling a cart (see below).
![]() |
Banes Manor Farm sign, Capel Road c1907 |
![]() |
Barking, East Ham and Ilford Advertiser 31 August 1907 |
Mullins was
a Somerset-born dairyman who lived at 10 Capel Road during the 1911 census. He
was one of many country- folk who migrated to towns and cities, maintaining
their previous rural occupations. In his case, it was cow-keeping. Several
cow-keepers lived near Wanstead Flats until the 1990s, when they let their often small number of beasts graze on the land.
![]() |
Thomas Henry Mullins - 1911 census - Ancestry |
![]() |
Thomas Henry Mullins - Probate Records, Ancestry |
As these clips from the British Newspaper Archives catalogue indicate, the dairy would appear to have been wound up in 1921.
![]() |
The Gazette - 5 July 1921 |
It's not entirely clear what happened on the site for the next decade and a half, but by 1937, it featured in a Watsonian Sidecars brochure, selling motorcycle spares. This advert was accessed via an eBay search, which can be an excellent source of images for historical research.
![]() |
Watsonian Sidecar brochure, 1937 |
The
location was soon converted into Bradley’s Autodrome – a service station, Hillman
car dealer, and car repair business. See below.
![]() |
West Ham and South Essex Mail 06 January 1939 |
This would have been when the photos that provoked this research were taken. The first is a photo of the petrol pumps, located on the site of the modern houses.
The second is a West Ham-registered car with a number plate dating to the 1930s awaiting a fill-up. A close inspection shows that the service station sold both BP “Ethyl” and Shell products, indicating that the garage was independent and not tied to a sole supplier.
![]() |
1940 Trade Directory |
We have no further details of this business. However, a photo emerged recently on Facebook, spotted by a friend of the blog, Tony Morrison, showing these tearooms occupying the site next door, 11 and 12 Capel Road. Unfortunately, it is undated.
A collection of photos in the Newham Archives, dating from 1957, shows that Autodrome was still an active business.
![]() |
Above - 1957 Newham archive photos of the Autodrome, Capel Road |
An advert in Commercial Motor magazine
from the 1970s suggests was by then trading in Land Rovers and other commercial
vehicles.
![]() |
Commercial Motor magazine, via Google Books |
At some time after this notice was placed, the site was taken over and run as a Q8 (Kuwait) fuel station, bearing the familiar logo below. The green posts at the foot of the 2016 photo, above, of the houses now occupying the site were from the Q8 forecourt. They have subsequently been removed. Unfortunately, we do not have pictures of the service station under this badging. We would be grateful to anyone who could supply any.
![]() |
Q8 logo - on Capel Road service station - 1990s |
Tony
Morrison’s eagle-eyed skimming of Facebook uncovered a photo showing pre-WW2
1-4 Capel Rd, adjacent to the garage – below.
![]() |
Front of pre-war 1-4 Capel Point (via Facebook) |
These houses were bomb-damaged, and the pictures from the Newham Archive 1957 series on bomb damage clearly show an Anderson shelter at the rear of 1-4 Capel Road.
![]() |
Back of 1-4 Capel Road, 1957 - Newham Archives |
The houses were
demolished to be replaced by Capel Point below around 1965.
![]() |
Capel Point today - source: Google Maps |
Footnote. Other articles, by Peter Williams, about Capel Road can be found here and here.
No comments:
Post a Comment
We welcome comments to all the items featured on this site. However, we reserve the right to omit offensive comments, and edit the length of comments, for reasons of space.